Working for a dynamic, purposeful, multi-stakeholder organisation you will play a pivotal role in the Bonsucro mission to collectively accelerate the sustainable production and uses of sugarcane and the success of the ambitious new five year strategic plan. Founded ten years ago, Bonsucro is the most widely adopted standard for sustainable sugarcane and is undergoing an exciting time of expansion and opportunity.
This is a new role to lead and develop the Engagement and Markets team to maximise their impact and deliver on the objectives of the Bonsucro Strategic Plan. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Engagement and Markets sits on the Senior Management Team and has a key role devising, driving, and collaborating on strategies and initiatives that increase demand for Bonsucro certified sugarcane products, strengthening the profile, reputation, and influence of Bonsucro globally and regionally, and delivering global membership targets.
Strategy and Execution
- Lead, oversee and guide the development and execution of market & membership development plans in existing and new markets/categories for sustainable sugarcane to increase demand and uptake for Bonsucro certified products.
- Oversee and guide the development of communication strategies, campaigns, and events, across formats, channels, and regions, and have oversight for their delivery, increasing the visibility and reputation of Bonsucro against annual metrics.
- Manage public affairs, anticipate emerging trends, develop policy positions, and proactive influencing plans, working closely with the CEO and regional leads, to progress the strategic change objectives on climate, water, biodiversity, living wage and human rights.
- Increase engagement with key Bonsucro members, overseeing the delivery of exemplary membership services to the End User member category, contributing to accelerating sustainable sugarcane uptake across the supply chain and creating value-add for members.
- Coordinate across teams to increase number of new members in all categories.
- Oversee implementation of Code of Conduct requirements and internal due diligence processes, closely coordinating with the Director of Corporate Services and regional teams.
- Monitor risks on an on-going basis and highlight exceptions and risk immediately to the CEO and Finance & Risk Manager and proactively propose solutions to mitigate them.
- Provide timely updates to the CEO on relevant aspects of the department work plan, including submissions for CEO reports and inputs to the Board and Members Council.
Innovation & Learning
- Lead and support the department to facilitate a learning culture and ensure Bonsucro is kept abreast of key external policy developments and trends related to the thematic priorities.
- Support cross-organisation efforts to further digitise Bonsucro products and services and strengthen internal systems, including proper stewardship of data policies.
Income and Funding
- Overall responsibility for the Bonsucro Credit Trading Platform and promoting uptake to meet strategic and annual targets (+ 15% per annum to reach 2.2 million per annum by 2026).
- Working collectively to update the funding strategy and significantly increase and diversify the income pipeline through membership fees, consultancy, events, training, credit trading, and developing new data and analytical products.
- Leading by example, to maintain a positive working environment and culture in accordance with the core Bonsucro principles of inclusiveness, adaptability, collaboration, and credibility.
- Lead and manage the department to achieve the strategic goals and departmental KPI’s in adherence with organisational culture, learning and core principles.
- Provide regular, consistent, and timely coaching, feedback, guidance, and direction as needed: ensure that this culture trickles down through the direct report managers to the staff.
- Act as a spokesperson to represent Bonsucro at senior levels across multiple platforms and networks with private sector, governments, and opinion formers.
Budgets and plans
- Work together with the Director of Corporate Services and take ownership of the departmental budget planning and proper management and liaise with the Finance team to conduct monthly reviews of departmental expenditure and annual/quarterly budgeting.
- A collaborative and inclusive leader with senior level experience in sustainability
- Experience working in an international role with multiple stakeholders
- Extensive experience in policy, communications and marketing, stakeholder relations, alliance building
- Proven understanding of sustainable value-chains and international business dynamics
- Articulate, with excellent written and spoken English, and proven influencer who can work at the highest levels
- Strategic, capable of delivering multiple priorities in a dynamic, complex, and resource-constrained context
- Knowledge and experience in at least two of the following thematic priorities: climate action, water
stewardship, biodiversity/regenerative agriculture, labour rights and living wages
- Good financial management, planning and project management skills
- University degree in relevant subject – high level of intellect and competency
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and principles of Bonsucro
- MBA or post-graduate in another relevant subject
- Knowledge and experience of agriculture supply chains.
- Experience working for a not-for-profit mission driven organisation
- Ability to speak other languages, in particular Portuguese and Spanish.
We are an equal opportunity employer, if you need any support or adjustments in our process, do let us know.
Location: London is preferred. Other international travel hubs may be considered for the right candidate. Hybrid work model.
Closing date: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.